I love this version of chikki - although using Sugar instead of Jaggery in this version but it's ok to binge once in a while :-) and unlike other sweets we eat small portions of these ... so not too much sugar goes in anyway.
Very few ingredients and quite easy. Here we go..
1 cup peanuts
0.5 cup Desiccated coconut
a little less to 1.5 cups sugar - I used castor sugar.
2 tsp ghee and little more to grease.
1. Dry roast peanuts in a Kadhai / Pan and when cooled down peel them off.
2. Dry roast coconut just for 3-4 minutes until raw smell goes away and add it to the peanuts.
3. Once cooled, grind them in a mixer to a little coarse consistency as the coarse peanuts tastes
better in chikki.
4. In a heavy base pan pour in the little Ghee ( 2 tsp ).
5. Once melted, add the sugar.
6. Once the sugar starts melting, keep stirring and make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
7. Keep stirring until we reach the caramel stage. ( See pic below )
8. Switch off the flame and pour in peanuts - coconut ground mixture in it and start mixing well.
9. On a greased platform / Baking paper pour in this mixture fully and start rolling it into a spread.
For thickness see the photo below.
10. While its hot use either a greased knife or a Pizza cutter to form shape of squares.
11. Let it completely cool down.
12. Comes out very crunchy and super yummy Chikis....
Note: You have to be a bit quick for steps 8,9 process and careful too !